Lucy Boston

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

ski trip and quilt shops

Upstate
New Hampshire -
yes, it's cold,
yes, it's beautiful.
Here's the ski resort across the road from where we are staying:
This is the closest quilt shop - only 20 minutes driving on clear roads:
Very cute and friendly.  They even had a two party welcoming committee - golden retrievers! 
I did some damage here - a few more colors for my "Farmer's Wife".  And some wool for my "Wool Crazy".
 
This is the "big" quilt shop:
Lots of fabric, but seemed to me that there was no rhyme or reason as to how it's shelved.  Well, it was filed by colorway.  But with 20,000 plus bolts of fabric, it looked haphazard.
On the front porch was a sign that greeted you to the shop:
"No Loitering".  Didn't sound very welcoming.
Then a sign inside that said NO food, NO drink, NO pictures.
Stepped into the shop and nary a greeting.  Nary an acknowledgement.  Not very welcoming. 
The gal that cut my fabric - she offered a couple of suggestions for visiting the area after I asked.  And that was the end of that conversation!  Oh, well, but I did a little damage there, too.  More for the Farmers Wife and the little piggies: a wedding gift quilt!  These little piggies had some character!!! and they had some flowers, too!
And see the pie/wisk/spoon fabric- that will be some hot pads and towel bands for my kitchen!  I know I am really past the need new ones point in my kitchen.
They did bag the merchandise in a cute way:
On a beautiful note - here's the view from the front porch of that shop:










There are signs everywhere that warn of moose crossing the roads. Not a moose in sight though.
Not a single sign of moose.  When I was out driving to the lqs I thought I saw "evidence" of moose along the side of the road.  I was going to stop and take a picure to show my family, but realized that it was just a few dirty, salty, snow clumps from the underside of a truck or car!  oops!  Ha, not "moose evidence" after all.  But it made me smile.

And, did you know that the motto for the state of New Hampshire is "Live free or die"?
And it's the truth.  I saw a personal check that had info across the top that was a nick-name only and the account number across the bottom. That's it, nothing else!!!
Really....No address, no phone number, no account start date... just a nick-name. 
Our Ohio checks have everything including address, phone number, account start date, age, height, weight and favorite candy!

Back to stitchin.....Hope you are have a stitchin' day, too.

3 comments:

  1. I like your choice in fabric. Looks like you are having a good time, even if you do not ski.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you had that experience at Keepsake because I have had that same experience a few times there too. Have also had great experiences there with friendly salespeople so I guess you just have to hit the right day but it shouldn't be like that at all. And we are stubborn and independent in NH-no one's going to tell us what to do. That's why we have no sales tax and no state income tax. And it's not cold here-this is what the weathemen refer to as "seasonable"! It's just a nicer way to say cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant' think of a better way to be greeted at a quilt shop, or any other place than by a Golden Retriever or two. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!