Lucy Boston

Monday, November 12, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Cake and Bonfire

Crumb-topped Pumpkin Pie Cake
As we all know, the weather across the country
during the past few weeks has been,
to say the least - bad.
And that includes the Halloween/beggars night time period.
BUT,
this past weekend was beautiful here in central Ohio.
So, last hour (really two days ahead of time),
after I saw the weather forecast, 
I sent out e-invites
for the Annual Chili Cook-Off and bonfire
that I usually host on beggars night.
 
And we had a great turn-out!
Not as many chili entries
(that's what happens when I don't plan ahead :)
but what was here was Tast - y!!!
Yum, yum!!!
The "blind" taste test was close,
but the "Turkey Chili - medium hot",
was the winner!!!

I have to say, to my taste buds, 
the "medium hot" was a 
little under-rated in the heat department...
To my thinking, medium hot shouldn't make your nose run!!
But it sure was good!
I think the pot was licked clean!
No, it was NOT me licking the crock pot!!

  Anyway,
I had a request for a recipe that I thought I had posted before,
but I couldn't find it, 
and it definitely is an Autumn dish,
so...

Collin - this is for you!

Crumb-topped Pumpkin Pie Cake 

Crust:
1 yellow cake mix - dry (reserve 1 cup of dry mix for topping)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg
Mix those three and pat into 9 x 13 greased pan
Filling:
16 oz. canned pumpkin
3 eggs
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
Mix the above ingredients and pour over crust.
Topping:
1 cup reserved dry cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
Cut soft butter in with dry ingredients until crumbly, then stir in:
1 cup chopped pecans
Sprinkle topping over filling and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 5 to 10 minutes.  Cool and serve with whipping cream.  Refrigerate leftovers.
A beautiful and clear November night, a crackling bonfire,
great food, and some Pumpkin Pie Cake...
that's what I call the a WONDERFUL night!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun - wish I was closer! The PumPieCake looks and sounds great! - I think I will try your recipe this weekend for a gathering I'm going to. T in TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe for something similar to that. I may use it when I cook for the church's Wednesday night dinner after Thanksgiving. I'm always looking for yummy, easy ideas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed it, looked like good eats and good fire.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!