Lucy Boston

Saturday, March 8, 2014

another day, another unstitch

It was a good, late afternoon...
I'd been stitching away on my Ides of March quilt blocks...
aka Good Night Irene  (from Terry's Sew Along).
I had all 31 of the 16-patch blocks done
plus all 31 of the X-blocks done!
So, I started on my border pieces and
made 36 of these:
See how nice they look?  Ready to sew into pairs!

Hold your horses, or whatever you hold when something just doesn't look right...
Maybe I was working too long, or too late...
because after they were
all made,
and trimmed,
and pressed,
I realized that I really needed
36 pieces with
ONLY ONE CORNER OF GREEN 
so I could make 18 of these:
And because of limited fabric
 (I was using the 'found' stack of ten inch squares)
I had to unstitch all of these half-square triangles:
so I could re-stitch them.
And re-stitch them I did! 
Right then!
Before I called it a night.
Here they are - re-done, ready to trim and press:
But wait, OK, now I know it's time for bed!
Notice the block on the right compared to the blocks on the left:
What you don't want is the one on the right!
What would be left if you trimmed off that flip-y corner?
Not a square!!
Glad I only sewed ONE of those 36 triangles
back on the wrong way.
 
Tomorrow afternoon,
after I check and double-check all of my late-night-sewn blocks,
I plan on sewing all the blocks together.
Hopefully there are no more problem blocks, as 
I want to get this quilt finished for the Ides of March
so it can live up to it's name!
 
Good Night (Irene)!

5 comments:

  1. Sewing is always an adventure! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your blocks sewn together. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've done the some thing! You think and overthink and even if it's not late at night - whack - cut the wrong way, or stitch through a whole stack of blocks without bobin thread! Time to get some sleep and hit it fresh in the morning! I love your greens you chose and can't wait to see everything sewn together. t in tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy T in TX. I am loving this quilt and it's going together SO quickly!

      Delete
  3. Bummer! Unsewing is always a mood killler for me. Makes me want to just put the whole project into a box and start something new.:) I'm looking forward to seeing your blocks put together also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anon! I know how you feel! But so worth the un-stitching. This is such a great project - it's going together so quickly!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!