Lucy Boston

Sunday, June 2, 2013

another baby quilt plus a question

Another baby, another "small" finish:
I cut 2 1/2 inch by 10 inch strips and
did my own small version of Trip Around the World
(with five-square blocks).
All scrappy strips, and border & backing from stash.
Can't tell from my picture, but that's a pretty, purple batik border (that finished about 2 1/2 inches), so a made-in-a-day quilt for a baby shower gift.  I was unable to make it to the shower, as we had a BOAT LOAD of  "stuff"  for this past weekend, so I sent it along with the grandma-to-be.
I sure think it turned out cute.

Now the question:
Do you gift quilts? 
And if you gift a quilt, do you intend, like or dislike
the gifted quilt to be used?

I know that a gift is just that:
a gift.
It's use, how it's used, or not,
 is up to the recipient's discretion.
I have no control for after it is gifted...I'm not questioning that.
 
I'm just surprised by the number of folks that I quilt-gift to
that choose to "put them up"
for the child to have when they are grown.
OR, an adult who's received a quilt and "puts it up for good".

I guess that while I'm making a quilt:
cutting and piecing and quilting and binding,
that I'm enjoying the whole process
and envisioning the comfort, smiles and USE that the quilt will bring. 
I never have imagined that it would be "put up" as an heirloom...
I might have to re-think my quilt making!  Heirloom??!! - pressure, pressure! :) 

Thoughts?

Now, back to the shower-quilt-gift, shown above...
the shower was for a good friend's d-i-l,
but to be held at a location over two and a quarter hours drive one way.
I explained to the good friend about all the "stuff" I already had planned for the day
and she totally understood (as her daughter lives out of state also).

So with daughter home/airport pick-up and drop-off,
family in for dinner to visit out-of-state visitor,
two grad parties and a wedding shower this weekend, 
PLUS the out of town baby shower,
I chose to stay home and visit, not travel the almost 5 hours to the shower.
I decided I needed a Jethro Gibbs-like "rule" (:no # yet:) -
RULE:  I have to be able to stay at a party longer than the total drive time
or I can't make it. :)

So, the weekend is over, & my boat-load has (mostly) disembarked...
company is gone, dinners (plural) done, parties & showers over for this weekend, some laundry going & dishwasher running now.
AND it's almost Monday! I need to do some stitching to relax!

Hope your weekend was great, too.
Happy June!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    You need a day off to rest from your day off.
    Hope your week is more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only things I machine quilt are baby quilts, so that they will hold up to TONS of washing. Baby quilts are to be USED!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!