Lucy Boston

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I String Thing... Do you?

String piecing with foundation, that is.

A friend got me started on these stringy things...

Don't know if she is
more of an inspirational instigator
or trouble-maker, :)
but, I do thank you, friend - you know who you are.

Like most quilters, I have plenty of scraps to use...
 String Things sure make for great use of scraps.
And use scraps I did!
I used some of the great colors of Autumn for my strings -
browns of all shades:  
from warm golden browns to deep, almost blackish-browns.
Throw in a little Autumnal accent:
brick-y red, some mossy-greenish-teal and dark, stormy blues.
I made four- 20" string squares and put them together for
a very nice table-topper size.
Since the strips on top were random in size and spacing,
I quilted using randomly spaced squares also:

Perfect for my Autumn table!

Thanks again, friend, for getting me started with a new addiction.
Just what I needed - another fabric addiction!
Albeit an addiction that's totally worth it!!!

If you do the String Thing, let me know...
I may just have some Autumnal Strings to share!

Happy early October Stitching!

6 comments:

  1. That is very nice!! I may have to join in your string thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anon. Please do join in! And if you need some extra strings, just leave me a way to contact you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love string quilts. I've made a few for Quilts of Valor. I use paper for my foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl. I wondered if there were folks still using newspaper for foundation. Is this what you use? I do like the news paper weight paper that has no print/ink, but I've exhausted that supply. So no on to muslin as I have a whole bolt of ecru/neutral. It does make it a little heavier with this extra layer, but I find it lays so nicely and smoother for me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I've made one scrappy string quilt. But today I'll start another stringy project, inspired by YOU! I have a little brown bag full of 1" strips that someone gave me a few weeks ago and I love how this table topper came out, so excuse me while I get started!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one from Guild exchange that I need to quilt, but of course it is the totally opposite of the color spectrum! Would love to make a fall colored one!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!