Lucy Boston

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

ahead of the game

I am the just-under-the-wire type of gal...
Instead of acknowledging that I procrastinate,
I tell myself that I work better under pressure
(insert big smile here).

So, by the 2nd of July,
I had sewn my blocks for the Quilt Doodle Doodles 
JULY Block of the Month! 
'Toasty Mugs' by Mylifeisastitch.blogspot 
This month's finish in the first week of the month?
Unusual for me, I know.
I think it was because I had just finished (TWO days before)
the previous month's block (see? procrastination!),
still had all the fabrics on my sewing desk, 
and was on the *miniature 'roll'.

*Miniaturized because I can not follow a pattern
(I also acknowledge that I have that problem -which I call tweaking, but that's another story).
So for this BOM, 
I've tweaked half-sized the pattern.
Well, I've cut my strips at 11/4 inch - 
 half the size of the original 21/2 inch strips
Which is not really half-sized, if you know what I mean, 
as my blocks finish at 3/4 of an inch not an inch.

I did the cup handles by making scrappy quarter-inch bias
and pinned them into shape then starched them:
I pinned and machine stitched the raw edges into the block seams, 
then hand-whip-stitched them down to the blocks.
I added wool 'steam' to the mugs, and will use Valdani floss to applique.

It's another cute block, for sure.
Thanks, Cindy of Quilt Doodle Doodles!!

2 comments:

  1. So cute and very scrappy! Again seeing your finished block this month I wish I would have joined in! t in tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your results so far and can't wait to see your mini version of the Quilt Doodle BOM 2014.

    Happy quilting,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!