Lucy Boston

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

meanderings the end of June

Besides the wedding shower 
quilt-y gifts that I meandered,
I also got to quilt this lap quilt for Jackie:

Jackie asked for hearts and loops for the meandering,
and I didn't get a close up picture, 
but near the bottom of the photo
you can see some of the hearts.   
She made it for a shower gift and 
has said that she has it ready to gift this week!

I'm now working on
a baby quilt for my new great-niece!
(She was born a minute before the 4th of July
and is such a cutie. She and first-time momma are doing well.
And my brother is so excited - it's his first grand baby.)

I had the pink and green quilt on the long-arm machine
and mostly quilted when new niece arrived.
As soon as she was born and named 
I free-hand quilted her name and birth day onto the quilt.
I love to stitch a surprise into the meandering for the 
recipient to find later, :) and
I do still put a label on the quilt.
 
The quilt is now in the binding stage 
but is taking a while to stitch...as I used Minkee as the backing.
I find that Minkee is a little tedious to work with when doing the hand-stitching part.  Though totally worth it when finished as it's just so cuddly and soft.
And I know my new great-niece will be cuddling and loving it so totally worth the challenge.
 
Have you ever used Minkee as a quilt back? 
And do you also find it tough to hand stitch?

Off to do some more hand stitching on that binding!
Happy Stitching to you also!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new great-niece! Can't wait to see thepink and green and minkie. Also, a great idea to stitch in a surprise in the quilting! I may have to adopt this practice! Thanks for sharing! t in tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used Minkee on 2 baby quilts, but, I machine quilted both of those.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!