Lucy Boston

Sunday, August 1, 2010

I smell...

roasted corn!
Well, I also smell....
of roasted corn...
Yesterday, Sweetie and I
and another couple/friends,
were the corn roasters extraordinaire....
The local country market,
Freeman's,
had their 5th anniversary
corn roast/ice cream social.
To help them out, we were the roasters of corn.
The corn was soaked overnight in big barrels of water....
Hardwood lump charcoal was fired up and the corn was cooked.
More and more corn was roasted.
Fifty dozen ears of corn...
Cooked and consumed...
Not all consumed by me, though I tried...
Anyway, the roasted corn smell just permeates the skin, evidently, because it's now 24 hours after the roast, 3 showers and a dip in the pool later, and I still smell of roasted corn.  Though it is getting fainter...
I think...
There were horse drawn wagon rides...

I didn't know that horses were territorial,
but note that the horses have already
marked their territory on the first pass by;
And, finally, the picture of the first corn on the grills...
After that, we were too busy putting more corn on,
turning, turning again and again and again,
husking and buttering to get any more pictures.

Four hours and 600 ears of corn later...
this is what was left:

18 ears. 
That I husked and was going to cut off and freeze. 
Then when I got home,
I forgot it in the back of the truck
and now,
it will feed some animals today,
not me this winter :(
But I can just pretend I am eating it today...
since I still smell...
of roasted corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!