Lucy Boston

Sunday, October 3, 2010

a 50th

I am a country gal, and I know that living on the farm while growing up taught me a whole lot of stuff that you missed learning if you lived in town. 

Out in the country, there really wasn't a "quitin' time"...
You just worked until it got dark, had your dinner, washed up and went to bed.
I didn't know what life in the small town was about...
Not until...

The village of Bedrock!   (This was in re-runs, not the original show in 1960...)
But, that was the best of small town living...

Oh, the things I could learn, growing up with Fred and Wilma and their extended family:
How cameras worked,
How vacuums worked,
How showers worked,
well, how a whole lot of things worked...
How people "in town" lived in split-level houses and became friends with their neighbors.
How drive-through restaurants came into existence.
That husbands and wives do share a bed.  (My parents did, but any other TV show did not show this for some reason.)
About raising a baby, and adopting a child...
About bosses and co-workers and  The Union,
And music icons like  Mick Jadestone and The Rolling Boulders.
Even about "Store Bought Jelly" and juice (we always made ours).  I'm guessing this was a sponsorship thing with Welches...

Anyway,
Yabba Dabba Doo!
We'll have a gay, old time!

Hope your week is as wonderful as the Flintstones' was in Bedrock, 50 years ago!

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed reading this. I'm married to a country boy and you're right. Living in the country teaches a person about "making do" and stretching things. Mostly things I didn't learn until I matured.

    Thanks for sharing. I loved the learning curve with the Bedrock bunch. I loved Wilma and Betty.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!