Lucy Boston

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Turkeys*

*Turkeys:  poultry, not human!!! 
It's turkey week, already! Are you ready?? 

Do you have lists of things you have to make, bake, cook, clean, like I do? 
My brother brought over one of his home-grown turkeys for me to cook.  It's frozen now and it weighs about 40-ish pounds. 
Thawing is guestimated at approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds. 
I am half afraid to get on the scale with it!  It's scary-big! 
(I am also half afraid that when I try to lift it to weigh it it will throw out my back!!). 
 I have decided I will enlist help in the picking up part! 

But, (probably like you) we do thank all the turkeys who give their lives in the name of stuffing ourselves.  Stuffing ourselves to the almost edge of explosion (never seen the explosion, but there are urban legends!).

I really am looking forward to the day, though.  It's a day of family, fun , great food, reminiscing and, of course, little kids running through the house on sugar highs (I can laugh about this now, as my children are grown and don't usually still run through the house on sugar highs - usually, no promises).  
I will have my camera, capturing all the moments on film digitally. 
The only thing better would be Norman Rockwell there to capture the moment!  (OK, maybe not, since we are all on sugar highs, we probably wouldn't have the patience for sitting still that long anyway.)

Then, guess what?  I will repeat the whole process again on Sunday for the other side of the family!! 
Doesn't that sound like fun?
I am excited!


And then there's Maxine:
Happy Thanksgiving week!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! My favorite holiday--no gifts are required!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!